Today, two sets of pillars that served as gateposts are all that remain of Fort Comfort Inn. For over 75 years, thousands of people used Fort Comfort Inn and Fort Comfort Resort and Pavilion as recreational destinations.
In the early 1900s, the Fort Comfort Realty Company owned by George De Groat, purchased and converted the Fallon Mansion into Fort Comfort Inn. It was advertised as “…high class service; beautiful surroundings, caters especially to tourists; open all year…” Thus began the ﬁrst use of Piermont as a major tourist destination.
Business flourished, and soon the Inn was expanded. The three-story height was maintained and the length doubled. On September 6, 1912, the building was destroyed by ﬁre, but soon after, was rebuilt into two separate buildings. Overall, Fort Comfort Inn was a successful enterprise. However, a series of ﬁres, changes in ownership, and a ﬁnal ﬁre in June 1931 brought it all to an end. The last, and one of the more famous owners, was Pierre Martin who operated the Villa Pierre. Over time, the property was subdivided into residential houses.
The Comfort Inn Post Card
Fort Comfort Today
The Fort Comfort Resort and Pavilion were located on the waterfront and pier, which is now occupied by the Tappan Zee Marina and restaurant. A quote from a 1902 publication, the Bi-Annual Directory of the Nyacks and Piermont, reads:
“The Fort Comfort Beach is the most desirable place on the Hudson River for bathing. The clean, ﬁne sandy bottom sloping gradually for long distance… absolutely safe for small children….A modern bathing pavilion lighted by electricity for bathing at night has about one hundred large booths furnished with showers and foot baths….Very large assortment of suits for hire. Fort Comfort is a strictly ﬁrst class resort in every respect and is patronized by people of wealth and reﬁnement.”
In 1903, Fort Comfort Resort and Pavilion, with a castellated design, was built on a peninsula on the east side of Piermont Avenue. In 1912, William Thompson took over and created an amusement park. Once again through a series of ﬁres, the ﬁnal one in 1975, the life of the Fort Comfort Resort and Pavilion ended. In 1980, where the pavilion once stood, the new owners built a restaurant.